What are blood sugar levels exactly? Simply, they measure the concentration of glucose present in the blood. Just like us, our cats’ bodies break down certain nutrients into glucose as a vital source of energy. The glucose enters the bloodstream from the intestines to be transported throughout the body. At the same time, the hormone insulin is triggered to be released by the pancreas with the purpose of informing cells to grab onto glucose as fuel.
Diabetes occurs when an animal’s pancreas cannot produce enough insulin to deliver the essential glucose into the cells, either none or not enough. Too much circulating glucose (sugar) starts to damage certain organs. The cells then become starved of energy and start breaking down the body’s own protein and fats for fuel.
You will be able to notice something is wrong with your cat's blood sugar by some tell-tale signs. High blood sugar causes a number of secondary problems to occur, including weight gain, thirst and hunger, among others. If untreated, unsurprisingly, diabetes can have a dreadful effect on your cat's health, leading to potential issues like:
- Enlarged liver
- Urinary tract infections
- Kidney Failure
Treatment for your cat's diabetes begins by closely following the directions of your veterinarian. Your cat may need insulin. A nutritious diet rich in quality protein and consistent exercise will also help maintain his or her blood sugar levels. In addition, some available herbal supplements are extremely effective in helping to maintain normal blood sugar and supporting the organs that are affected by diabetes.
Pet Wellbeing’s Blood Sugar Harmony Kit includes Blood Sugar Gold, Milk Thistle, and SPARK Daily Nutritional Supplement to help blood sugar levels stay normal, maintain liver health, and enhance your pet’s nutrition.
Blood Sugar Gold for Cats
Blood Sugar Gold may be used in tandem with other protocols for maintaining healthy feline blood sugar levels. It is imperative to monitor blood sugar levels closely when using natural products that have an effect on blood sugar. At all times, blood sugar balance must be maintained.
Natural products can be surprisingly effective. How quickly your feline responds will be unique, and it is extremely important that blood sugar levels stay within a healthy range with regular checks.
High blood sugar, as a primary health problem, causes a number of secondary problems to occur, as previously discussed. Once the primary issue begins to stabilize, the secondary issues may also begin to improve.
Milk Thistle Gold
High blood sugar puts added strain on the liver. Liver disease frequently goes hand in hand with blood sugar imbalance. Milk Thistle can help. Milk Thistle is not contraindicated with conventional medications and is gentle enough for long-term use.
When the body’s cells cannot utilize the glucose from food, more fat gets stored and then released for energy. The increased fat circulating in the body gets metabolized in the liver, and stored in the liver. Fatty liver (hepatic lipidosis) is one liver issue that can result.
The liver performs dozens of different functions in the body, so supporting liver health is another way to support pets with high blood sugar.
SPARK Daily Nutritional Supplement
SPARK is a comprehensive supplement added to food, designed to supply more nutrition. Nutrition that canines and felines can't always get from their diet. A leading naturopathic veterinarian developed SPARK to be a complete, all-in-one delivery of 43 natural ingredients, all researched and synergistically combined for their ability to maintain excellent health.
The 8 main components of SPARK:
- Non-synthetic sources of vitamins and minerals
- Probiotics & prebiotics
- Vitamin D
- Fruit & vegetable "superfoods"
- Sea Vegetables + Greens
- Enzymes for digestion
- Amino Acids
Many of the ingredients are termed "superfoods" because they are rich in vitamins, minerals and micronutrients available from food sources. These ingredients are easy to absorb and assimilate, and they maintain good health right down to the cellular level.
How to Administer the Components of this Kit to Your Cat
BEST way to give drops! Add to food. Add drops to a small portion of a favourite food or treat and ensure the entire amount is consumed.
Blood Sugar Gold
Administer product orally twice daily. Give one drop for every 2 lb (1kg) of body weight.
Administer product orally once daily. Give one drop for every 1 lb (0.5 kg) of body weight.
Shake both products well before use. They do not require refrigeration.
We know animals can be finicky! Blood Sugar Gold & Milk Thistle are enhanced with delicious natural bacon flavor. We recommend administration of the drops in a way that your cat will like best. Add to food, ensuring all food is consumed.
Spark Daily Nutritional Supplement
Calculate the dosage :
|Dog or Cat Weights||Amounts (give slightly rounded)|
|Under 12lb||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Over 51lb||2 Teaspoons|
Give once daily, sprinkled on food. Can also be mixed with a small amount of water to make a "gravy" and added to food.
Safe use in pregnant animals or animals intended for breeding has not been proven. If animal's condition worsens or does not improve, stop product administration and consult your veterinarian. Product may have a hypoglycemic effect. May increase effect of blood-sugar-lowering drugs. Monitor closely if administering with blood-sugar-lowering drugs. An examination from a veterinarian is recommended prior to using this product.
For animal use only. Keep out of reach of children and animals. In case of accidental overdose, contact a health professional immediately.
Nutritional supplements do not take the place of veterinary care. If you suspect your cat is ill, please consult with your veterinarian immediately.
These products are NOT to be used as a substitute to conventional treatments.
Blood Sugar Gold
- Devil's Club root bark (Oplopanax horridum): This indigenous North American herb has multiple uses. Maintenance of normal blood sugar levels is one of its most powerful applications. It has also been used traditionally by First Nations Peoples for the respiratory system, for joints, the digestive system and as a general health tonic.
- Gymnema leaf (Gymnema sylvestre): With the addition of this herb to our formula, there is specific support to the beta cells of the pancreas and also to maintain healthy blood sugar levels immediately following consumption of food.
- Fenugreek seed (Trigonella foenum-graecum): A seed used extensively in India for health and nutrition, recent studies concur that healthy liver and insulin levels may be linked with regular ingestion.
- Burdock root (Arctium lappa): Supportive to both liver health and glycemic levels, Burdock root serves a dual purpose in this formula. In addition, it is also antioxidant and antibacterial. Burdock is one of the chief "blood purifiers" in traditional medicine, owing to its liver, digestive and lymphatic support.
- Goat's Rue herb (Galega officinalis): Used and grown in Europe for hundreds of years, this herb may allow the body to better tolerate carbohydrates. It is also one of the main plants used for maintaining healthy blood sugar levels. Its secondary ability to support the liver makes it a valuable addition to this formula.
- Dandelion root (Taraxacum officinale): Although both leaves and root of the Dandelion are used, we use only the root in this formula. The root is considered to be a pancreatic regulator, stimulating both the pancreatic duct as well as the bile duct. Dandelion supports portal circulation and aids digestion.
- Bilberry fruit (Vaccinium officinalis): Rich in anthocyanins, these berries are considered a wonderful food source of antioxidants. The extract is known to affect the tiny blood vessels that supply circulation to the eyes. It also shows specific action in maintaining healthy blood sugar levels.
- Certified Organic Milk Thistle (Silybum marianum) seed: Absolutely the most important herbal supplement for supporting liver health. Milk Thistle has an antioxidant action that helps to protect liver membranes. It is a key part of maintaining liver health if your pet is taking medications. Milk Thistle is considered safe for long term use.
Spark Daily Nutritional Supplement
- Algae Meal (Spirulina, Chlorella)
- Free-range, Grass-fed Beef Liver Powder
- Ground Grass (Barley Grass Powder, Wheat Grass Powder, Kamut Grass Juice Powder)
- Fructooligosaccharide (also called FOS)
- Ground Brown Rice Protein
- Dried Kelp
- Parsley Powder
- Blueberry Powder
- Flaxseed Powder
- Beet Fiber
- Natural Bacon Flavor
- Carrot Powder
- Broccoli Powder
- Spinach Powder
- Beta-Glucan (Torula Dried Yeast)
- L-Lycine HCl
Bifidobacterium bifidum ( from Condensed Fermentation Solubles)
Bifidobacterium longum (from Condensed Fermentation Solubles)
Lactobacillus acidophilus (from Condensed Fermentation Solubles)
Lactobacillus rhamnosus (from Condensed Fermentation Solubles)
- Vitamin D3
- Lipase (from Dried Rhizopus oryzae Fermentation Solubles)
- Invertase (from Dried Saccharomyces cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles)
- Protease (from Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Solubles)
- Cellulase (from Dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum Fermentation Solubles)
- Cayenne Powder
Meet Dr. Janice Huntingford
Janice Huntingford, DVM, has been in veterinary practice for 28 years and has founded two veterinary clinics since receiving her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine at the Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph. She has studied extensively in both conventional and holistic modalities.